7 Finest Tips for a Healthcare Mobile App Development that Nobody Speaks About
Globally the healthcare mobile apps are accelerating at a fast pace. Considering the continuous advancement of healthcare mobile app, it is evidence that it has brought a huge improvement in the healthcare sector.
Health-related mobile apps manage the users experience efficiently. Some mHealth apps help clinicians to prepare more accurate documents, complete records, improve productivity, access information, and communicate findings & treatments to improve patient care.
As mHealth is making healthcare accessible in remote and isolated areas in less time, we all deserve a one-roof solution to track our health. Also, as the awareness for a healthy lifestyle is increasing the demand for monitoring vital health signs is increasing.
According to researchandmarkets, the global mobile health app market is projected to reach US$ 102.35 billion by 2023, growing at a CAGR of 29.30% during 5 years.
mHealth is efficiently supporting medical professionals for management and documentation of complete record. It is reducing error rates and improving health outcomes while reducing the overall costs. Report says that North America dominates the global mobile health app market due to an increase in chronic disease management. China and India are showing huge growth among other Asia Pacific countries.
Research by Accenture in the US shows that the mobile and tablet use for health management has increased from 36% in 2016 to 46% in 2018 along with increased use of wearable technology.
Another survey by Statista shows that “Monitoring” the health issue projected to account for 65% of the mobile health market share in 2017.
Major benefits of healthcare mobile apps in the medical industry:
- Healthcare apps enable easy and immediate access in remote areas
- Support doctors and medical staff in data gathering
- Scope for establishing new business models and opportunities
- Reduces risk of incorrect diagnosis
- Significant reduction in medical expenses
- Patient can take ownership of their health record
Healthcare apps help the users with lots of facilities like easily getting an appointment fixed with the desired doctor, interaction with the doctors and check the availability of the medical reports in a shorter time span.
Challenges in developing healthcare mobile apps
Adopting a forward-thinking perspective on a health-related app is vital for the sustainability of hospitals and clinics. It is essential to note that this transformation is not a simple task. The challenges in developing mHealth app can occur from both internal and external sources.
- Developing the app as per HIPAA rules and regulation
HIPAA stands for Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act that protects all individually identifiable health information. This law regulates the way information is stored and shared over the mHealth app. Therefore, before embarking your project, you should conduct some research and hire a mobile developer who possesses HIPAA regulation knowledge.
However, not every healthcare-related app complies with the HIPAA guidelines. There are some exemptions for some apps that offer general information about healthcare. For example, some healthcare apps help users to tack regular exercise regime, record weight or manage diet plans etc. HIPPA guidelines are not mandatory for these kinds of apps.
- Patient data privacy
App development teams often face privacy challenges as they have all the direct access to personal health information. There is a rising concern about the data being used without the patient’s consent. So, collecting the data is a major concern in the healthcare industry.
- Complexity in integration
Modern apps face challenges while integrating with the existing systems of hospitals or clinics as most of them still operate using outdated technology. It is expected you build an app which is easy to use on both ends- healthcare providers as well as patients.
- Transparency in patient engagement
If your app fails to enhance the experience of the users through vital information while doing interaction, it dooms the purpose. To engage the patient, you need to provide them transparent information. Also, on the other hand, the doctor should have the data that they deem necessary for the interaction with the patient.
- Ease of use
Most of the applications in the market have complex user navigation. Even, connecting wearable devices with the mHealth app becomes a hectic task. The challenge here is to make integration, usage, and interpretation easier for the users. Therefore, you must pay importance to the user experience.
Tips for booming mHealth apps
- While taking calls, our sales reps found that prospects are often confused about which type of mHealth app they want to build. Let me guide you with some popular types of mHealth apps, so, that you can suitably find a solution for an existing problem.
- The clearer you are about the target problem, the easier it becomes to find the target group. Before you talk to any healthcare mobile app development team, it is vital to identify the target audience you want to serve. For example, a fitness app like SonicSole (built by Sphinx Solutions) works seamlessly for fitness freaks. It also helps you to optimize your app’s value for target segments of the market.
- Let your app be as user-friendly as possible with room to grow. For instance, EHR (Electronic Health Record) app requires extra features for improved functionality. Also, if you are developing a lifestyle app, it needs simple functionalities so that different users can utilize it with ease. Remember a simple and scalable app will ensure a sustainable solution.
- Trending technology integration is highly desirable on your mHealth app. Innovations like AI and blockchain is expected to make your application more advanced and highly efficient. Scrutinize which features of these technologies can fit your app for best outcomes.
- Tracking, scheduling, and payment are the most common features you will see in the mHealth app these days. However, it must depend on your specific MVP (Minimum Viable Product) concept and the solution you want to provide. Additionally, functionalities like access to EHR, analytics, push notifications, prescriptions, social integration and few more can be integrated accordingly.
- Your healthcare mobile app should come with end-2-end encryption for enhanced security. Your app will fetch all information like medical records, personal info and even financial data of users- both patients and doctors (if applicable), therefore it holds a great responsibility of keeping sensitive information safe. It is recommended you to check HIPAA, HITech regulation and FDA guidelines in the early stage to avoid any nuisance.
- Depending on the purpose of your app, Big Data and Analytics are of great help in managing a large amount of data (both for patient and hospital records). While you try to offer good health to the user, big data can actually make your mobile healthcare app healthier.
- Though API (Application programming interface) comes with the potential to transform the patient care, but not every API is made for your application. There are different API for patients and hospitals. Talk to your app development team for more knowledge.
All we expect a healthcare economy that is more preventive and human-focused. The market of healthcare mobile app is still evolving. If you are planning to enter this realm of value-based healthcare ecosystem, this is the time to take advantage of the next generation technology stack to leverage the market.
Are you ready to leverage the mHealth market? Contact us!